Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Blue Door Band.

  If you have read "Eating Stone" by Ellen Meloy, you know who the Blue Door Band of Desert Bighorns are.  Last year I had camped in or near the band's territory on the Sand Juan between Bluff and Mexican Hat.  Cindy and I drove out to spend the night at that same point.  Last year with my binocs I could see sheep trails below, but never saw one.  This year about 30 seconds of looking and I realized I was seeing four rams bedded down behind the vegetation fringe along the river below.


There eight in the group.


That morning after breakfast at Recapture we had walked out to the Meloy Memorial on the river.  This sculpture is inspired by a sketch she made of Bighorn petroglyph.  I'd love to see that glyph.  There is also a newer memorial to Katie Lee down near the river bank.


Just out of Bluff we stopped so I could hike closer to a couple of wall shapes to the North of the highway on the edge of town.  It was an easy hike, but all ascending.  Shot a couple pieces of film.



We hit the Goosenecks, and went up and down the Moki Dugway.  Just touring and killing time before heading to the San Juan.


Dried deer draped over fence with Raven leaving.  Near the bottom of the Dugway.  We ranged as far West as Gouldings in Monument Valley.  Ate lunch at Mexican Hat on the river.  Went out to see the volcano neck South of town.  Just killing time.  Finally got late enough in the afternoon to head to the campsite over the San Juan.



Cindy watching the Ram Band bed down in the evening.


They were just along the vegetation band along the river.  Didn't seem very wary.  Must not be any big cats in the area.  They ranged around in prime ambush country.

Next morning I looked at some shadows.


Last time this year to wear fleece....until October.


Slept in the van.  Cindy got up to watch falling stars.  I got up with the spotting scope to check the Rings of Saturn.  We had a Ring-tailed Cat go after the grocery box.  Typical night in the desert.  Nobody in sight or sound at this very remote mesa tip over the San Juan.  It looks a lot like the Goosenecks.  I shot a couple of shadows and off we went to Moab.

No comments: