Monday, June 15, 2015

Catawba Worms.

  On facebook I listed a little list of animals I would like to have to photograph for the Bestiary.  One of my old friends picked it up and got busy, finding minnows, a catfish and Catawba worms in a day or so.  Before I knew it, I had a sack of Catawba worms munching their way through leaves in a sack.

  Very interesting worms to observe.  They don't seem to like each other much, in fact when they run into each other they thrash the front 1/3 of their bodies around like they have a mite behind their eye.  In fact, I'm not sure they don't have some mites.  I handled them a lot picking them up and putting them back on the leaves and worried about hurting them.  I don't think I did but I did notice that they rub their faces on the leaf surface now and then as if they are scratching or clearing their vision.   They aren't smart but they do seem to know what they need to know.  There are a couple of variations on back striping.  Fascinating physiology with small front grasping feet and big sucker walking feet, then a pair of real anchors on the back end.

  They eat fast and put out a LOT of compost.  Shot out my filmholders on 5X7 and 8X10.  Probably get one more look at a newer, bigger bunch.  I loaded these guys on a big Catawba tree across the street and they headed up.  Might have lost one of the little ones in the grass.

Iphone note.

  Want to put them on Byron's hand.  Next time.

  Processing.

  Update:  Here's the main pick.  



  Glove form with some leaves stretched over it.  Nine worms in the photo, but still doesn't seem like enough.  Maybe they will bulk up a bit and I can try it again.  Using a new film developer- Pyrocat.


No comments: