Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Folding frames.

The Art Life is always a mess.  Scheduling ideas...forget about it.  Some show up and simmer and you can work through them, others arrive like lightning bolts, insisting on immediate scrambling reaction.

  I've been building frames- which is NOT art, it's a craft, but a nice one to have hanging around.  I've framed several of my own shows.  Been thinking about an altar for a long time, while considering image sequencing and matching... and finally side-stepped into a folding frame to hold a little series of cyanotypes.



From the back.  Added a wire to go with D-rings because I needed to hang it and look at it and didn't want to fool with a major installation.  The hangers all go on the slatty print backing.  Easier to dis-assemble if the hangers aren't on the frame.


Here's what it looks like folded up from the front.  The color is one I teased out of the pantene color strips at Home Depot pointed at Cyanotype prints.  I had a print in the Texas 2020 Show at Artspace111 and it was in a blue frame.  The slat-work is a print holding back- all glued together.  Makes the frames much easier to reload if that comes up.  It's a use for the spoils that get produced when I am making moulding.


On the wall.

This was the first run.  I learned several things.  When I ordered the mats I got three sets.  The second frame is built and ready for plex and assembly.  Four hands, four flowers, four tornadoes.

  The next idea is a set of five individual frames that will be linked by hinges.  I think it might work for sunflowers in silver.

  It's complete insanity, of course, to make your own frames.  Please don't harass me about it.  I'm probably armed.
 

No comments: