Sunday, August 11, 2013

Photographing with the Classics.

 I put a roll of HP5 film in a 1960s Canon 7Sz rangefinder.  It's got a rare 50mm F.95 lens on it.  That's quite an exotic combination.  There are forums dedicated to rangefinders and whole exhibitions built on images taken with this lens.


It's a neat old camera but I'm having a difficult time with it.  First- I like a little wide-angle in a view.  The 50mm normal on a 35mm camera is neither fish nor fowl for me.  Second, I've spent a lot of time looking at iphone projections and SLR images over the years.  Looking through a rangefinder, with a big chunk of the view obscured by the edge of the lens, and hunting for the approximate framing is making me pause.

 The light meter is long gone but exposure guessing is kind of fun.

  It's heavy.  There must have been some thick-necked photographers back in the 60s.  Probably be more fun on a tripod.  With a polarizer.  But then it's a view camera with no rise or fall.

No comments: